June 1, 2016

Me, You, and the Internet


The beauty of the internet, in my perspective, lies in two key features; its vastness, and its ability to connect people to one another. There's undoubtedly no shortage of interesting finds on the web. So, because I can't tag every single one of you when I stumble into some kind of wonderful like I do for my friends and family, I thought I'd share some here. Think of this as some kind of mixtape sans the music, and with links instead.

@XPLODINGUNICORN

I can't thank Buzzfeed for the lost productive work hours thanks to their existence. However, I will thank them for pointing me towards this hilarious Twitter account. @XplodingUnicorn is run by James Breakwell, a dad of four daughters recounting the conversations that surround being... well, a dad of four daughters.

Honestly, I can't tell you the amount of times I've come across his tweets on my newsfeed and burst into a fit of giggles. At this point, I can't tell if the humor has more to do with his comedic wit or his daughters' irrefutable charm. Here's some of my favorites: 


 FILLER PODCAST

Last summer, I got really into listening to this then-new podcast called Filler. After finishing the first season, it was put in my mind's backburner for awhile until I rediscovered it again recently. Essentially, Filler is the brainchild of Harry Hitchens and Matt Shore; both the producers and co-hosts of the show. It is premised as a "creative industries podcast" whose target audience are creatives looking to be inspired through hearing about other creatives' experiences.

Their shows are recorded in coffee shops (with stellar mics, don't worry) which give off the vibe that you're pretty much sitting in their midst, listening to a few friends exchange tips and tales. Some of my favorites by far have been their episodes with Estée Lalonde, Arden Rose, Will Darbyshire, Jack Harries and Charly Cox. You can download and listen to the podcast for free via Soundcloud or iTunes

 REASONS WHY I HATE STUDENT LOANS 

"They told me college would be expensive. 
I just didn't expect to pay an arm and a leg to be a part of this student body" - Brian Yu

And so continues my love affair with Button Poetry, spoken word, and poetry in general. I stumbled onto this link via Tumblr one late night and I clicked on it nonchalantly, not expecting the floodgate of emotions that would ensue. Brian Yu delivers a strikingly honest piece about the price of higher education that left me with goosebumps, and a resounding guilt for how easily I take certain things for granted. 

BRIELLE ON ELLEN

Fact #1: I often get sucked into the Ellen vortex on YouTube. Fact #2: I am a sucker for videos of cute kids. Bring on Brielle, and I'm hook line and sinker. I was first introduced to this tiny Einstein when she was three years old, reciting the periodic table and its facts. She's returned to Ellen multiple times since then. As cute, charming, and smart as ever. Her scientific knowledge has expanded to the human anatomy as well, which is actually my favorite video of her thus far. I've seen this video more times than I care to admit. As a result, I've been curtsying while yelling phalange also more times than I care to admit. 

 ARIELLE VANDENBERG

I can't exactly pinpoint why I think this gal is so effortlessly cool. It is highly plausible however, that it is the culmination of her effortless style, her "goals"-worthy hair, and her awkwardly hilarious sense of humor. I think it's her style that resonates with me the most. From what I see, she's a jeans and t-shirt kind of person, which is really no revelation. And yet, I am so enthralled by her because she does it so well. Plus, she's the one who got me to do the unthinkable of adding black velvet chokers and black bandanas to my wish-list when I swore off of these a long time ago.

   WENTWORTH MILLER

I've only recently become a fan of Wentworth Miller. Most existing supporters of his have come from Prison Break, and though the show is on my never-ending list of shows to start, I've come to know of him through his beloved anti-hero role as Captain Cold on DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Beyond my love for superhero television shows is my love for sublime human beings, of which Wentworth Miller belongs to both.

At this day and age, it is so common to see memes that poke fun of practically anything and everything. We scroll through endless feeds and laugh at this or that, mindlessly forgetting that often, the targets of these are real human beings who have the capacity to feel, and to hurt. When Mr. Miller was the subject of a meme that shamed him for his body, rather than to ignore or lash out, he took it as an opportunity to educate. He openly discusses his struggles with mental health and its repercussions. It goes without saying that his candid honestly and willingness to share is something that I admire deeply. His way with words brought me to tears, and struck a chord deep within my bones. I strongly suggest that you read his artistically articulated post, but if you're short on time, let me quote the part that stood out to me the most: 

"Like a dandelion up through the pavement, I persist. Anyway. Still. Despite." - W.M. 

JACOB TREMBLAY

Last, but most definitely not least, Jacob Tremblay, who truly made award season something I paid a little more attention to this year. He's nine years old and from Vancouver (woohoo!) and has already stood toe to toe with Oscar and Emmy winners. He's won coveted awards for his acting and nominated for a multitude of others. Most importantly though (to me, anyway) is his charming personality. 

I could get lost in a vortex of his interviews. In fact, I already have. So, if you're looking to kill some time and want to be charmed by this young fella (who named his dog after Rey from Star Wars, by the way), look up 'Jacob Tremblay interviews on YouTube' and I'm fairly certain you won't be disappointed. Here's some of my favorites: Ryan Seacrest, Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen Show, Critics Choice Award Speech.

That pretty much just sums it up. Quite a lengthy one, eh? The curse of being so terribly verbose runs through my veins. Regardless, I hope you've found something that made you think, or made you smile. Do let us know what you'd add onto this list!

Stay gold,

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment