July 4, 2018

What's in My Bag: Travel Hand Carry Edition

Who would've thought that I'd be getting on another plane less than a year after my big New York adventure? It may seem not at all big deal to many people, but for someone who hadn't traveled much for a period of five years prior, it's something worthy of excitement in my world. And although this time around, I won't be going to someplace new, I know coming back to the place of my childhood at my age now will be an experience in and of itself. 

In preparation for the trip, my tendency to create lists has run rampant. Since I can't pack my carry-on just yet, considering that I'm still using a lot (if not all) of the things I'm planning to bring, I've decided to doodle em for ya and talk you through each item. 

HERSCHEL BACKPACK

This backpack has lasted me through 5 years of university, and an abundance of trips, retreats, and adventures in between. I brought it with me to New York, and it's still in such great condition, ready to board a plane bound for the other side of the world. 

iPAD PRO + APPLE PENCIL + APPLE CHARGER

Perhaps the best purchase I've ever invested in, my iPad is pretty much my sidekick. I use it to draw and illustrate pieces for Flux. I watch Netflix on it. I read books on it. I browse social media on it. I pretty much do everything under the sun on this piece of technology. I can't recommend it enough, especially for fellow artists. 

iPHONE 8 

Self-explanatory, I think? I may not have cellular data because I don't plan on paying an arm and a leg for those roaming charges, but keeping it on airplane mode the entire time will enable me to disconnect much more from the real world and get in the mind-frame of 'vacation' time. 

MADEWELL TOTE

This $5 tote is my favorite souvenir I got myself from last August in New York. It's my go-to bag of choice when I'm out and about because it can fit everything that I need on a day-to-day basis. Plus, the fact that it can be rolled up to a tiny nothing makes it so convenient to lug around for travelling. 

RAY BAN CLUBMASTERS

These are my favorite pair of sunglasses. They're classic and will never go out of style. They were a birthday gift from my mom a couple years ago and I've brought em out every summer ever since. The ones that I have are the folding kind, which means that they bend in half (round the nose-bridge piece) so that they're extra compact. 

PILOT HI TECPOINT V5 + TOMBOW FUDENOSUKES

These pens are the quintessential tools in my arsenal. The former is my go-to pen that I grab for writing, while the latter Fudenosukes (both soft and hard nib) are my favorite for illustrating words and doodles. 

HARDCOVER JOURNAL

Writing on a journal and documenting my life has always been akin to breathing for me. I've been scribbling my thoughts out onto paper for as long as I can remember. Even before I knew how to write actual words, I remember keeping notebooks and diaries with nonsensical doodles. This particular kind of journal is the uniform type that I always gravitate towards. Essentially Moleskine hardcovers, or dupes of that. The one I'm packing with me for my trip is from Sears that I got for super cheap when they were doing their liquidation sale, but Walmart has great versions as well. 

CALVIN KLEIN WALLET

I haven't been much of a big wallet carrier lately. For a long while now, I've just been carrying a cardholder that carries my debit, credit, Compass card, and my license. I don't intend on using my cards unless for emergency while I travel, so I had to bring out my actual wallet so that I can carry my passport, and actual bills and coins. 

KODAK S100 EF + KODAK GOLD ISO 200

I've wanted to get into film for years and years and after carrying around a disposable camera for April-May, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a random $5 film camera from Value Village to actually get a hang of things. It's always a gamble getting film cameras from thrift stores because there's no actual way of figuring out if they truly work until you get that first roll developed. Luck was on my side and the one that I got works like a dream. The Kodak S100 EF is pretty swell. It has a switch for ISO 100/200 and 400, and has a blindingly strong built-in flash. Each roll of film that I get developed keeps getting better and better and I'm always so giddily excited when I pick up the developed pictures. 

POWERBANK

In case the plane we embark doesn't have in-seat plugs, a powerbank is going to come in extra handy for the whopping 13.5 hour flight. 

MOLESKINE PLANNER

Admittedly, I'm still a diehard planner enthusiast. Despite the technological age, I'm still very much clinging to my Moleskine planners. My entire life is planned out on these things. And because I'm trying to minimize the amount of items that I'm bringing for the trip, this planner is also going to double up as my grateful journal temporarily until I can transfer the notes back to the one I'm leaving behind at home. 

Stay gold,

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment