May 24, 2017

From the Camera Roll


The start of the summer season has always given me new life. It took a while for the rays of sunshine to hit Vancouver, but when it did, man did it come at full force. There's something about the days getting longer that sparks a desire for me to do new things, more things, great things. As such, since the semester came to a close and the seasons transitioned, I have been grasping at every opportunity to go out into the world (with camera in hand, of course).

I've always been pretty nosy when it comes to peoples' camera rolls. One of my most favorite things to do when catching up with friends is taking a peek at the pictures they've taken since I last saw them. I'm surrounded by people who do cool things, and since I can't always do those cool things with them, the best way to vicariously live through them is a technology enabled show and tell of sorts. With that being said, I thought I'd share some of the photos I've snapped in the past while to show you what I've been up to.

STEVESTON

The group above and below are taken from when I was at Steveston with my family. We mainly came for a taste of Steveston Pizza, a delightful step-up from your standard Pizza Hut or Panago. However, the best part about coming to the area is the wharf and wharf-side stores. While waiting for our food, we wandered around Pretty Thingsand It's Posh, the latter of which is known for being Storybrooke's Mr. Gold's Pawnshop from Once Upon A Time.

MAIN STREET

Fun fact: supporting local businesses will make your heart feel happy. Funner fact: supporting Cartem's Donuterie will make your stomach feel happier. Funnest fact: one of my closest friends, Alex, works there and it's always fun to visit. Plus, check out their monsterra collection. Talk about goals. 

GRANVILLE STREET

In terms of decor, Urban Outfitters never really fails to disappoint. They're never in shortage of pretty things that make me want to pull my camera out. Plus, the view from the top floor offers a great view for people watching.
 

FRASER RIVER PROVINCIAL PARK

Some of my most memorable moments about summertime is long days and late nights spent trying new restaurants and wandering new places with pals. It's hard to fully express how stoked I am for the revival of these kinds of days now that the season's changed. This particular afternoon was spent roaming round Fraser River Provincial Park with Philip, Alex, and the most gorgeous doggo Luna. Afterwards, we waited  in line outside of Anton's Pasta Bar, staring at the people inside eating their weight in monstrous piles of pasta as we drooled hangrily, willing them to hurry up so we could take our turn.

Before the end of the night, we spent some time at Phil's place. Catching a glimpse of his new home was bittersweet. Although, as gutted I am that we're not walking distance apart anymore, it was nice to see my face all over his room in the form of pictures and polaroids. Just before we left, we spent a solid hour taking some badly composed polaroids to add to his collection.

PORTRAITS @ HOME

Lately, I've been having a wild time taking people's portraits. Another close pal of mine, Jenny, crossed the bridge over to come meet me for a celebratory end of the semester dinner. However, as per usual, before leaving for the restaurant, we were sidetracked by catch-ups, chocolate, and neon portraits. Not to mention, a round of yelling to music we listened to in our adolescence.

WHITE ROCK

Next up is another round of portraits. Except this time, it was in the context of catching up with my recently back for the summer Cece, who ventured off into opposite coast of the country (Toronto) for university.

We started the day off with brunch at a place that's been on my list to try for quite some time --The Wooden Spoon. Cec and I split an order of bennies and some banana and nutella french toast. The portions were perfect for us and left us the perfect level of satiated, enough to fuel us for the next leg of the adventure.

We then went to 1001 Steps to walk all the food off, and to take advantage of the weather by taking some photos. Heading there was a first for me, and for some reason it didn't register in my head that I'd have to walk up and down the stairs. My usual physically unfit self definitely struggled on the way back up. My legs were jelly and I was panting, but at least sandwiched in between all of that, we got to enjoy the gorgeous view of the secluded beach.

FRASER STREET

Last up for this round is an evening spent with friends from high school. It was a mini-reunion of sorts as we talked about what we've been doing since we saw each other last while indulging in tacos at Sal y Limon. Among the ones that I got to try out, the fish and shrimp tacos were my favorite. Although that's not saying much because they have so much variety that I have to come back and try more to give a solid opinion.

Moreover, although I'm not the world's biggest fan of horchata, it's always been my aim to try it whenever possible (mainly because of my weird desire of being able to sing along to Horchata - Vampire Weekend and mean it). Out of the one's that I've sipped, the one from here was the best thus far.
 
After, we strolled down Fraser Street to Earnest Ice Cream, another local favorite that I have never been able to stop talking about since I first tried it years ago. Despite being a creature of habit, and despite salted caramel being my favorite, I was felt like trying something new so I went with espresso flake (without regret, I might add; it was delicious). We sat at the bench outside while enjoying the dusk-y period and being photobombed by the cutest kiddo.

The night ended with some deep catch-ups on the way home and in various parking lots. Man am I lucky to have quality people in my life. The kind that I can go months without seeing, but still feel as close to as ever when we're reunited.

Anyway, that sums up my late April to mid May camera roll. I hope you've enjoyed getting to know more about me in the form of photos and retroactive commentary.

Stay gold,

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment